Tuesday, May 12, 2009

"The Man" in Purple

I hate the Vikings. I hate their purple uniforms. I hate the dome they play in. I hate the sound of the horn being played every 30 seconds at their games. I have disliked almost every player they have ever had. Chris Carter the most. I hate the name "Purple People Eaters". I hated the pencil that Mike Tice always had above his ear. http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2005/football/nfl/03/08/banks.tice/p1_tice-030805-getty.jpg
I hate the giant Viking mascot that rides a motorcycle. I hate almost everything there is to hate about the Minnesota Vike'queens'. But I love Brett Favre.

I love watching his excitement when he plays the game. I love the term "Gun slinger" when people talk about him. I love way he lit up my Raiders in the wake of his dads death. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2003/football/nfl/12/23/packers.raiders.ap/
I love living in Wisconsin and seeing what Brett meant to this state. I never understood that growing up in South Dakota. Now the football player I love most might be playing for a team that I can't stand. What now?
If Brett makes it back to play with the Vikings can I cheer for him? I will want to so much but that would mean I am cheering for the Vikes. Maybe I can just cheer for him to do well but not the rest of the team. I'm not sure if that will work. I'm pretty sure though that if he does make it back I will be excited to watch him regardless of what team he plays for. See, I am a Brett fan. No matter what decision he makes or how man times he changes his mind I am sticking with him. If he retires 100 times and comes back each of those times I will be happy. I will be happy that one more time I will get to see Favre being a "Gun slinger". I will get to see him run down the field with his arms in the air. I will get to see my favorite player act differently than every other quarterback playing today. There is only one Brett Favre. Even if he's wearing Purple.

No comments:

Post a Comment