Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Girls Rule. At least against Me.

So I played some football over Thanksgiving. And I lost. One team had myself and buddies Ford and Miller. Our opponents were my girlfriend Meghan, Ford’s wife Cassandra and my friend Topher. It’s a fair assessment that my team was made up of large men. I’m not saying we are all fat but we aren’t bean poles either. We did not have a lot of speed on our side. As my friend Ford would say though, "Make plays, not excuses." We lost and in my assessment it was not very close.

Growing up I was made to believe that women were inferior when it came to athletics. Again, I’m not saying I believe this but this is what I learned growing up. “You throw like a girl. You run like a girl. I hated these comments. Cause of course it meant that I was not as good as the other guys. I played these sports like girls and or course so I thought girls are never as good as men in sports.

I learned something the other day though. Some girls are good. Really good. Some girls are just plain better at sports then me. I mean this wasn’t the first time I was humiliated by a girl. A few years ago in a 5 on 5 basketball game I was blocked by my friend Corey. Now she is a very good basketball player but my ego couldn’t take it. So I did what any reasonable man would do in this situation. I waved everyone else to the side and I drove on her, 1 on 1. And what happened? I was blocked again. A few years later I was again playing basketball and I was blocked not once but twice by a female who was not quite in the same basketball level of Corey. I proceeded to foul her to the ground the next time she came by me. Not my finest moment.

I’ve played other sports where I was beaten by females but it wasn’t until this past weekend that it really hit me. Maybe there is not a female that can beat Jordan 1 on 1 and I will never believe a team of females could play against an NFL team and beat them but when it comes to me against a few women in sports I will give them the upper hand. Maybe this means I’m turning in my man card or maybe I’m just waking up to the fact that some females are just much better at sports than me. Maybe?

P.S. Congratulations by the way to Meghan, Cassandra and Topher on an impressive win.

Question of the Week:
Which of these teams would win if all of the players were in their prime?

Team Brandon
Steve Nash
Michael Jordan
Hakeem Olajuwon
Kobe Bryant
Kevin Garnett

Team Clyde
Magic Johnson
Reggie Miller
Shaquille O'Neal
Lebron James
Karl Malone

4 comments:

  1. I hope Team Brandon.. At least that is who I'd be cheering for :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are two good teams but if history tells us anything I would put my bet on Cassandra, Topher, and I.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahahahahaha "a female not quite the same basketball level as corey" that's the understatement of the year :), it might not have been your "finest moment" paddy, but it makes a gosh darn good story :)

    ReplyDelete