Wednesday, January 13, 2010

I Need HELP

I would like to coach someday. I don’t care what sport it is or what age level it is. I guess I would prefer that it was one of the major sports since that’s what I know the most about. There is a small problem though. I haven’t played a lot of organized sports in my life. I have a passion for sports and am willing to learn. What I need though is help. What’s the best way to learn how to coach? Are there books I can read? Are their videos I can watch? Better yet is there someone out there who has a lot of time that would be willing to teach me how to be a coach. I need someone to teach me the very fundamentals of a sport. I think I could be a very good coach. So I am putting it out there to the world. Patrick Andera wants to coach! Is there anyone is willing to undertake this project of helping me get there?

I also wanted to comment on something exciting that happened to me recently. For the past few years I have had an argument with a friend of mine that I knew more about sports than him. After asking 3 different people to help come up with a trivia game to prove who was the best I finally find a friend who was willing to take the time to put together this contest. In front of a few (try 20) friends, myself and this acquaintance competed. We were neck and neck through the first half of the game. It was crazy how many questions we had the same answers for that were absolutely wrong. Then came my nemesis category. Sports Movies. I learned quickly that as much as I love sports I don’t know anything about sports movies. He smoked me in this category and I was never able to recover. He beat me fair and square and I have no problem saying he knows more about sports movies than me. It is still hard for me to believe he knew more about sports than me. But, as a good friend once told me, “Make plays and not excuses.” Christopher Clyde Aderhold, on that day you were better than me. You knew more about sports movies than I did. Congratulations sir. Thank you to Lindsay, Nicky, Gus, Matt, Mama Pitts and whoever else came up with the questions for the game. It was one of the most fun things I have ever done in my life. Topher, rematch someday?

8 comments:

  1. If you want to coach cross country....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meh...Thanks though. Perhaps, baseball, football or basketball.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How about the doggie dancing class?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think people unserstand that I am being serious here. Come one people, cross country, doggie dancing. Actually, doggie dancing sounds kind of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well not exactly pertaining to your situtation, I was reminded of this Seinfeld quote:

    George: I like sports. I could do something in sports.
    Jerry: Uh-huh, uh-huh, in what capacity?
    George: You know, like the general manager of a baseball team or something.
    Jerry: Yeah, Well, that- that could be tough to get.
    George: Well, it doesn't even have to be the general manager. Maybe I could be like, an announcer. Like a caller man. You know how I always make those interesting comments during the game.
    Jerry: Yeah, Yeah. You make good comments.
    George: What about that?
    Jerry: Well, they tend to give those jobs to ex-ballplayers and people that are, you know, in broadcasting.
    George: Well, that's not really fair.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Time to find a kids team and go with it: http://www.cityoflacrosse.org/index.aspx?nid=1615

    or

    http://www.laxymca.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=18&Itemid=19

    If only you had a friend who worked for a YMCA that ran youth teams!

    You may not know more than Topher, but I'm willing to bet that you can school your elementary or middle school team on the finer points of a sport of your choosing.

    ReplyDelete