Wednesday, February 24, 2010

I must come clean...

So for the past few weeks I have been having a horrible case of writers block. Perhaps it’s because for me this is one of the worst times of the sports season. No NFL, no baseball, NBA season at this point doesn’t excite me and college basketball is still a few weeks away from getting really exciting. It is with that I have decided to talk about one of my favorite sports. Professional Wrestling.

I know what a lot of you are thinking. Professional Wrestling is not a sport. Perhaps not but I love it none the less. I am coming clean to the whole world. I love professional wrestling. I’ve loved it since I was 10 years old and still love it. I love the athleticism. I love the larger than life personalities. I love watching the athleticism and genuinely not knowing what is going to happen. I get this from friends though. “But Pat. It’s fake.” True it is scripted but you know what else is “Fake?” Friends, Seinfeld, Law and Order SVU, The Office. My other favorite shows.

When I was little I even dreamed of being a professional wrestler. This was until I told my dad and he said, “In order to be a professional wrestler you have to be strong and stupid. You’re neither.” I still don’t know if that was a put down or a compliment. I remember watching Bret Hart when I was little. When my step-dad almost ran our car into his in Memphis on vacation, it too this day is still one of the greatest moments of my life. Getting to meet him and get a picture with him was the greatest thing for a wrestling fan. I remember in high school slopping down in front of the TV every Monday night to watch wrestling. It was always hard when the Raiders were on Monday Night Football. Do I watch the Raiders or watch Sting propel down from the rafters.

When I got to college I would watch it every Monday night with my friend Matt. Getting to go to my first live event and see a show in person still rates as one of the greatest experiences I’ve had with my dad and step-dad. Now as I get older sharing this passion with my 2 nephews. Remembering what it was like to be that age and dreaming of performing in front of thousands of people. Trying these moves on my friends. Playing the video games and once in a great while getting to go to a live show. I can’t wait for the day when I can share this with my nephews and hopefully someday my child. I have baseball and football icons. I loved watching Reggie Miller. None of these “athletes” though will ever compare in the same way to me as these other sports heroes growing up. The Hulk Hogans and Bret Harts. Triple H’s and Rocks. Kevin Nash and Sting. Maybe wrestling is fake, but the excitement, tears and laughter I have had for 20 years is not.

1 comment:

  1. Tears? Really? From Pro Wrestling?

    What's next? A post about NASCAR?

    ReplyDelete